Friday, November 5, 2010
Cordevalle - The final event of the Fall
The Cardinal are heading down to Cordevalle this weekend to dispute the final event of the Fall. "Both as a team and for each individual player, this is the last chance we'll get to put it on show in 2010" rallied Coach Ray to his men following a team workout earlier this week, "it's time to make a statement ahead of a spring Championship season that is really not far away now".
There several causes for optimism as the players prepare to compete at the UCLA hosted event:
1. It feels somewhat like a home event given that the venue is situated only 45 minutes south of the Stanford campus at San Martin. The players know the course well and had a chance to play the course on Monday this week.
2. Stanford picked up first place last year after shooting a team total of 24 under par... See last years results on Golfstat.
3. Sihwan Kim and David Chung finished 2nd and tied 3rd at Cordevalle last year respectively. Sihwan is also a former champion of the event having won it his freshman year. Andrew Yun is fresh off an individual victory at the Prestige and a 4th place finish at Isleworth.
4. David Chung has just returned to the lineup since representing Team USA at the World Amateur in Argentina last week and the Junior All-American is tipped to notch up multiple collegiate victories this season '10-'11. Chung is a player who knows how to win since his stellar summer of winning top level amateur events (the Porter Cup and Western Amateur) back to back this past summer.
5. Top 3 team finishes in the last two events without the Chung and Kim duo in the lineup have demonstrated the Cardinal team's strength in depth. The Gifford Collegiate at Cordevalle is a 6 man team counting 5 from the 6 scores, therefore this 'extra man' format is likely to be advantageous.
See the full team lineup here, follow us live from Cordevalle via http://www.golfstatresults.com and then check back soon for a coach's Fall Season roundup and update.
There are only a couple of team slots left available for the Cardinal Golf Classic event held at The Stanford Golf Course on 11/12/10. Please contact the Men's Golf office to reserve one of those last spots.
PPS. Want to BEAT CAL! ? ...team up for Stanford and take on your Cal counterparts at The Big Game Cup on 11/18/10. Likewise, contact the Men's Golf office for more information and to reserve your spot.