Since our return from Cordevalle Stanford Golf has hosted two of its fundraiser events. The Cardinal Classic was held on November 12th and the Big Game Cup took place yesterday (November 18th). Both were held at the Stanford Golf Course and were lots of fun for everyone, but most importantly they provided great opportunities for coaches and players to express thanks to its many friends and avid supporters of the Cardinal golf program.
The Big Game Cup matches up die hard Cal Bear supporting golfers against their Cardinal counterparts in the run up to Big Game football weekend.
Here is the Big Game Cup scoresheet published:
By an extremely narrow margin (32.5 to 30.5), Stanford BEAT CAL ...It all came down to the last score posted!
In the Big Game Football matches, Cal have been victorious in the past 7/8 matches. Like Coach Harbaugh, Coach Ray recalled similar dismay for his side prior to this latest Big Game Golf Cup encounter. However, whilst no-one can precisely quote the correlation between Big Game Golf and Big Game Football, Ray and his Stanford supporters are hopeful that perhaps this triumph signifies a turn in fortune.
Friendly rivalry was the spirit of the day and both Coach Desimone of Cal and Coach Ray of Stanford exemplified that spirit in their post match presentations. Turning attentions to the strength of present day Men's Golf teams on both sides of the Bay, "In all my years coaching, I have never known such a phenomenally high standard of college golf and the absolute icing on the cake would be to see Stanford and Cal battle it out down the stretch for the PAC 10 Championships at Stanford and then the 2011 NCAA National Championships at Oklahoma State," said Coach Desimone.
If you are up early tomorrow morning you can listen to Coach Ray and Coach Desimone talking Big Game on 680 am radio "Hooked on Golf" at around 7.15am.
The Cardinal team now break for Thanksgiving followed by "dead week" before "finals" exams.
Friday, November 5, 2010
The Cardinal are heading down to Cordevalle this weekend to dispute the final event of the Fall. "Both as a team and for each individual player, this is the last chance we'll get to put it on show in 2010" rallied Coach Ray to his men following a team workout earlier this week, "it's time to make a statement ahead of a spring Championship season that is really not far away now".
There several causes for optimism as the players prepare to compete at the UCLA hosted event:
1. It feels somewhat like a home event given that the venue is situated only 45 minutes south of the Stanford campus at San Martin. The players know the course well and had a chance to play the course on Monday this week.
2. Stanford picked up first place last year after shooting a team total of 24 under par... See last years results on Golfstat.
3. Sihwan Kim and David Chung finished 2nd and tied 3rd at Cordevalle last year respectively. Sihwan is also a former champion of the event having won it his freshman year. Andrew Yun is fresh off an individual victory at the Prestige and a 4th place finish at Isleworth.
4. David Chung has just returned to the lineup since representing Team USA at the World Amateur in Argentina last week and the Junior All-American is tipped to notch up multiple collegiate victories this season '10-'11. Chung is a player who knows how to win since his stellar summer of winning top level amateur events (the Porter Cup and Western Amateur) back to back this past summer.
5. Top 3 team finishes in the last two events without the Chung and Kim duo in the lineup have demonstrated the Cardinal team's strength in depth. The Gifford Collegiate at Cordevalle is a 6 man team counting 5 from the 6 scores, therefore this 'extra man' format is likely to be advantageous.
See the full team lineup here, follow us live from Cordevalle via http://www.golfstatresults.com and then check back soon for a coach's Fall Season roundup and update.
There are only a couple of team slots left available for the Cardinal Golf Classic event held at The Stanford Golf Course on 11/12/10. Please contact the Men's Golf office to reserve one of those last spots.
PPS. Want to BEAT CAL! ? ...team up for Stanford and take on your Cal counterparts at The Big Game Cup on 11/18/10. Likewise, contact the Men's Golf office for more information and to reserve your spot.